ScoutWikiBooks : Scouting for boys (English)
There is a website where the book is published here : thedump.scoutscan.com but we can't copy the text from the pdf. So we can try to hack the file (I can't) or to contact the webmaster of the website. In France, we have an association, Le Réseau Baden-Powell (BP Network) which permit to see a lot of document without being able to copy. We tried ro find a way to collaborate but his policy was strict and they didn't help us for the books of the french writer Guy de Larigaudie. I think the policy of The Dump should be the same but we can try to contact the webmaster. Florian 13:15, 8 January 2011 (UTC)
- Ok, I read and it seems it will not work. We can try to contact the webmaster, we may have a good surprise. Otherwise, I tried to crack the file with a free version of PDFKey, I cracked 28 pages (the 28 first pages of each chapter). We must think about this and about the conscience problem : we just avoid to the same work one more time and the book will be in the public domain BUT we doesn't respect the wish of the webmaster. Such a dilemma! Florian 10:13, 11 January 2011 (UTC)
- Let us wait a year with the works of Robert Baden-Powell and start with authors whose death was earlier. I can convert most pdf to html (and wiki if needed) --Egel 18:57, 11 January 2011 (UTC)
I think I don't understand what you wrote : even there is a password, you're able to convert a pdf to something else or you're volunteer to convert pdf to wiki? For the works of BP, we have a problem in English (in fact, it's not really a problem because we've books which can make the work easier instead of having nothing), but we have books in Spanish and nothing in other languages. So I think, we maybe can work on the books of BP in other languages (we work on that in French).
If we crack thedump's pdf in a year, will it be more respectful? I'm not sure. In fact publishing books of BP in English could be a way to "make the buzz". Florian 09:19, 12 January 2011 (UTC)
- Even if there is a password, I am able to convert a pdf to something else like html or the wiki "markup language".
- The Dump has an agreement with "The Scout Association", the present copy right holders of the works of B-P, that allows the Dump to publish those works in the way it is published on the Dump at the moment. The Dump had to pay 500 Pound to do so. We have the choice to contact "The Scout Association" and ask for a similar agreement or just wait a year. 
- The Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 License used by The Dump has no effect on the elements that are in the public domain. But maybe we should attribute the Dump for digitizing the work.
- --Egel 18:31, 12 January 2011 (UTC)
Ok, I think we're coming to an agreement. I don't want to publish books from TheDump right now. In fact we can't because BP is not in the public domain currently. I would like using TheDump's work to prepare publication on January 1st 2012. This is why I proposed to use sharing system on Gmail to work on that, as like this, the work will not be published before 2012. I can make standardization on the Larigaudie's model and produce the books in pdf (I'm working now on the books in Spanish). We can prepare too the texts specially for wiki, in order to easily publish the books on the first days of 2012 (the model with Larigaudie's books can be seen here : http://fr.scoutwiki.org/Vingt_scouts_autour_du_monde_:_Départ ).
Of course, we must attribute the digitizing work to theDump, I did that for Aids to scoutmastership (it is a swiss organization). Maybe it was a bad idea to upload my pdf of this book on Scoutmedia, we should delete it until 2012.
So If you want we share our works, my e-mail address is coupeflorian(at)gmail(dot)com. If you're agree with me I will write a tutorial about sharing the work on Gmail.
Florian 15:18, 13 January 2011 (UTC)